Although Kijiji is now recognized as the largest online classified ad site in Canada, in 2014, the situation was quite different. Despite its meteoric growth to the top, the brand was also looking to establish its legitimacy and credibility.
Capital-Image then created and launched the Second-Hand Economy Index. This revolutionary bilingual Canadian economic report was commissioned by Kijiji for its 10th anniversary and published in partnership with the University of Toronto and the Université du Québec à Montréal to measure the second-hand economy in Canada.
Since then, five editions of the Second-Hand Economy Index have been published and an annual multi-channel promotional campaign has been developed:
- A Canada-wide media relations campaign
- a media approach adapted for the two different markets (Quebec and English Canada)
- a media tour with spokespersons
- computer graphics as a visual aid
- The creation of a microsite highlighting the results of the Index to make them accessible to the general public;
- An outreach campaign with academics, influencers and bloggers;
- The creation of a web content strategy and social platforms.
In 2019 alone, in the most recent edition, this initiative generated 195 media articles (101 articles and TV/radio clips in Quebec) and hundreds of organic social publications with over 65 million impressions (31.8 million impressions in Quebec alone!). Since its release, the Second-Hand Economy Index report has been a reference in the media and the concept is intimately linked to Kijiji.
This innovative program has won various awards from the Société québécoise des professionnels en relations publiques, the Canadian Public Relations Society, the International Association of Business Communicators, as well as a STRAT Award and an Infopresse Media Award.